среда, 21 мая 2014 г.

His and Hers

His and Hers
Office reading chair
Office reading chair

What classic color scheme is better for a shared His-N-Hers office than good ol' black, white, and red?


Well, okay, there are lots of options but since we already had a bunch of black, white, and red stuff from our last house, this is what I came up with for our new office area!


Office my side
Office my side

All the furniture, rugs, and drapes were from various parts of our old house, just regrouped to fit this new space. Recognize the ribbon photo board from my previous studio?


Entry

This is a view of how open it was before we had the wall added. By closing that space off to the front entryway, we gained a lot of usable interior office space with room enough to have a bookshelf and a reading chair instead of a 10 foot opening. I know many people like the modern open concept, but for me this works MUCH better. I'm not a fan of having things so open that there are no boundaries between various spaces of the home...not to mention the mess visibility factor!


Office windows
Office windows

The drapes were reworked from the ones I had in our master bedroom in the old house - Steve was nice and let me have my polka dots, even though it's his office space too. :-) At least they weren't pink polka dots, right?! I normally hang my drapes with the rods almost to the ceiling, but since the ceiling in this house is at 9 feet instead of 8, I hung the rods lower than usual. I wasn't in the mood to add on extra length at the bottom of my drapes for this room.


Curtain rods step 1
Speaking of the curtain rods, would you believe that they're just 1" diameter PVC pipe?

Curtain rods detail
Curtain rods detail

Yup, true story. I didn't want to spend a fortune on these walls, and I wanted the drapes to completely cover the space between the windows, so I knew I could get away with the 45 angle PVC couplers and the super cheap curtain rod brackets (you can buy them in unfinished pairs at Lowes for a couple bucks each set). So I painted the pipes black with spray paint that's especially designed for plastic, and I only had to buy 2 unfinished finials for either end of the curtain rods (which I also painted black, obviously).


The whole rod setup for those 3 windows, including the pipes, brackets, spray paint, and finials, ended up costing about $20 - and $5 of that was for the spray paint!


To make the finials (which come with a screw inserted in them already) attach to the ends of the PVC, I could have glued wooden dowels inside the ends and then screwed into that, but instead I sprayed some of that expandable caulk sealant stuff (the foamy kind that expands and then hardens) into the open ends of the PVC, then taped the finials in place on the end before the foam had a chance to expand/escape/ooze out the end. Once it hardened (about 30 minutes) they were firmly secured in place and I didn't have to go try and find a dowel that would fit just right inside the pipe.


Staining baskets
Staining baskets

Here are these baskets again - I've had these forever, but in order to make their original blonde finish less noticeable on their new shelf, I stained them with a watered-down glaze which was a deep brown/black color.


Office desk
Office desk

This is my side of the room. Except normally there are a bunch of papers from my sketching and all the stuff the kids noodle around with everywhere. No, I didn't clean up just for the photo - I just took this as soon as I was done decorating = before we had a chance to mess it all up!


Office dresser
Office dresser

Perhaps one of these days I'll actually live by that "Keep Calm" motto...I've got the "Carry On" part down okay, it's just the Keep Calm part that continues to elude me....maybe by the time I'm 80 I'll get that part figured out. Or maybe by the time we stop moving around? Hmmmm....I wonder......


Original article and pictures take 7layerstudio.typepad.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий